Northfield High School, an IB Diploma Programme School
Northfield is one of the newest and fastest growing International Baccalaureate Diploma Programmes in the state of Colorado. Through rigorous coursework, independent research, and community service, our students develop the skills to understand the world as it is while also reimagining what it could be.
IB at NHS places a premium on both rigor and equity. All of our juniors take at least two IB classes, and students can choose to take the full Diploma Programme, which includes six classes, the extended essay, a Theory of Knowledge Course, and IB CAS (community service) program.
We are proud of our pioneering cohort of IB students, who began the program in the 2017-18 school year and will sit for their first exams in May 2018. Students meeting the requirements set out by the IB will receive their diplomas in 2019, before setting off to university programs and careers as lifelong learners. For more information about IB, visit International Baccalaureate.
- IB Northfield International Baccalaureate essential information for students.Northfield International Baccalaureate Information – Spanish version
- Course Sequencing: What classes are needed to graduate with an IB Diploma? What is the curriculum like? Find out in English or in Spanish: Secuenciación de cursos del Bachillerato Internacional (IB) de la Escuela Preparatoria Northfield
- Admissions Policy Northfield has open admission to the IB Diploma Programme. However, the full IB Diploma Programme is not for everyone. In order to be successful in the program, students should be able to demonstrate the following:
- A record of academic success – this means enrolling in and succeeding in honors classes during 9th and 10th grades
- A growth mindset – IB is a challenging program. The ability to reflect on failure and grow from it is essential to success.
- Independent research skills and a desire to learn independently
- Strong attendance – at least 95 percent
- Integrity and an aversion to harmful shortcuts
- Determination to see a challenge through to its end
- CAS: Read the CAS Handbook and visit the CAS webpage
- IB Parent Association: The IBPA seeks to offset the cost of the IB Program to make it accessible to all students at NHS regardless of financial standing. The IBPA is a branch of the NHS Foundation, 501c3 nonprofit. Read more about the IB Parent Association.
- Extended Essay Guide.
- Policies: Northfield’s IB policies concerning Academic Honesty and Integrity, IB Language Policy Information, International Baccalaureate Assessment Policy and Special Needs Policy
- IB in real life: Evidence of the success of the IB curriculum
The IB Diploma Programme . . .
- Draws on content from educational cultures around the world
- Requires study across a broad range of subjects
- Gives special emphasis to learning languages
- Focuses on developing the skills of learning
- Provides opportunities for individual and collaborative planning and research
- Encourages students to become responsible, active members of their communities
All of Northfield’s juniors and seniors have the opportunity to choose to pursue the IB Diploma or an IB Certificate.
Diploma Programme Coordinator