Northfield High School, an IB World School
Northfield is one of the fastest growing and most successful International Baccalaureate Diploma Programmes in the state of Colorado. Through rigorous coursework, independent research, and community service, our students develop the skills to understand the world as it is while also reimagining what it could be.
IB at NHS places a premium on both rigor and equity. NHS students complete 9th and 10th grade classes with assignments and projects that are designed to prepare them for IB Diploma courses beginning in 11th grade. All of Northfield Juniors take at least IB classes in English, Math, and Social Studies, and students can choose to take the full Diploma Programme, which includes six classes, extended essay, Theory of Knowledge Course, and IB Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) program.
By The Numbers
260: Current number of juniors and seniors pursuing the IB Diploma. This figure has grown each year since the start of Northfield High School.
75%: The percentage of students in the Class of 2022 who pursued the IB Diploma (an international credential) and earned it. This is up from 30% in 2019, 58% in 2020, and 73% in 2021.
77%: The percentage of students of color in the Class of 2021 who pursued the IB Diploma and who earned it.
42/45: The number of points earned by our highest scoring students in 2021 and 2022 placing each of them in the top 3% of students globally.
$850k and Counting: Money saved on college tuition by both Northfield High School IB Diploma and IB Course graduates by earning college credit through qualifying IB scores.
Resources, Course Offerings, and FAQs
- What is an IB education?
- The IB Diploma Program (Summary from IB)
- How Do universities view IB? How can it help with college admissions?
- IB in Real Life: Evidence of the success of the IB curriculum
- How do I earn my IB Diploma? What are the benefits of IB? These and other FAQs for students and families. Preguntas Frecuentes para la Programa de Bachillerato Internacional
- Course Offerings: What IB classes does Northfield offer? What is the curriculum like? Review the Northfield IB Course Offerings
- Course Sequencing: Which classes are two years long and which are only one year long? View IB Course Sequencing.
- Selecting Your Courses: What classes meet the requirements for the IB Diploma? Use our selection tool.
Northfield IB Policies
- Admissions Policy: Northfield offers open admission to the IB Diploma Programme. However, the full IB Diploma Programme is not for everyone. To be successful in the program, students should be able to demonstrate the following:
- A record of academic success – this means enrolling in and succeeding in honors classes during 9th and 10th grades.
- A growth mindset – IB is a challenging program. The ability to reflect on failure and grow from it is essential to success.
- Independent research skills and a desire to learn independently.
- Strong attendance – at least 95%.
- Integrity and an aversion to harmful shortcuts, such as plagiarism.
- Determination to see a challenge through to its end.
- CAS: Visit the CAS webpage
- Extended Essay: Extended Essay Guide
- Policies: Northfield’s IB policies concerning Academic Honesty and Integrity, IB Language Policy Information, International Baccalaureate Assessment Policy and Special Needs Policy.